Aircooled Konnection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Engine fitting THIS WEEKEND now with pics

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Engine fitting THIS WEEKEND now with pics Empty Engine fitting THIS WEEKEND now with pics

Post by Ronnieboy59 Fri Feb 14 2014, 09:13

Hi all, was going to be fitting my engine this weekend however the weather has been so bad that I have fallen behind somewhat, also my car has been off the road for over a week with a duff Alternator which has just been replaced at great expense, did not realise the front of the car has to be virtually removed for this to be done properly, anyway, the extra expense of this will probably mean we have to cancel going to BD Gathering sadly, reference the engine fitting I still have to source a CB oil filler box as the breather catch tank I have will probably cause oil vapour in the engine bay , catch tank will do for now I expect but better to replace it with the engine still out, If there is anyone who can help to wire up the CB performance fuel pump it would be much appreciated, I have fitted the pump however the switch is missing on my steering column which I am trying to source to enable a on off for the fuel pump.

Ron

Last edited by Ronnieboy59 on Fri Feb 21 2014, 19:47; edited 2 times in total
Ronnieboy59
Ronnieboy59
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Engine fitting THIS WEEKEND now with pics Empty Re: Engine fitting THIS WEEKEND now with pics

Post by owen Fri Feb 14 2014, 18:30

Sorry to hear about that Ron I'm around most weekends so let us know when you want to do the engine. Don't give up on BD just yet. Won't be doing much this weekend apart from watching water levels as we are near the river. Although I think its the drains  we need to watch, had a tanker outside our house pumping out sewerage since xmas.
cheers for now
owen
owen
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Engine fitting THIS WEEKEND now with pics Empty Re: Engine fitting THIS WEEKEND now with pics

Post by Ronnieboy59 Sat Feb 15 2014, 08:52

Sorry to hear the water levels and poss sewage dangers in your area, if you need a hand sandbagging I can pop over? Anyway my engine can wait till better weather, have still got to find breather hose for the rocker covers and somewhere to vent the fuel block off breather, I do have a breather catch tank which does have a small air filter fitted to it however have been told that if I vent to the catch tank it will create oil vapour in the engine bay, so scratching my head for now, may have to buy a CB oil filler breather box, I was over at Keith's last week to borrow a Gearbox 17mm key and he found another one which he thinks may be yours ? If so then I have it and used it to change the gearbox oil in my bus, just a quick qs, I need electric cable for the fuel pump, how much will I need and where to buy if you know anywhere local ?

Thanks

Ron
Ronnieboy59
Ronnieboy59
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by owen Sat Feb 15 2014, 09:42

We are okay  just the council and environment agency  panicking, neighbours will be under 2ft before it reaches me!!.
 Allen keys probably mine as i couldn't find it for carl so hang on to it for now. For venting the engine unless you are going fast or reving the guts out of it ,not likely in a bus, it shouldn't be a problem. ideally it needs to be connected to one of the air filters to get the engine to suck the oil vapours out as per the original set up . With mine i have connected it direct to an air  filter If you have a catch tank in line even better as it stops contaminating the air  filter. If you are venting the rockers they need to be connected to the catch tank  so it gets complicated with so much hose in the engine bay i,ve done it before for my baja but only for looks as you don't need it on the smaller engines.
 Cable wise best bet, dareIi  say it is halfords they do or used to do reels  of cable for about a fiver 8amp cable should do think there is about 4m to a reel which should be plenty. I would run it from  a switched supply from the fuse box and  have an inline switch near the dash and run it to the pump. Quick and dirty way would be run it straight off the coil but then its always going when the ignition is on.
cheers
owen
owen
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by tint1n Sat Feb 15 2014, 11:07

Ron you could try maplins for some wiring, they seem to be reasonable costs looking at their website.

If you need a hand with anything let me know

regards

Matt
tint1n
tint1n
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronnieboy59 Sat Feb 15 2014, 14:48

Hi guys, managed to only find the cable today, been to Halfords, Motorworld, Maplins, I need 3 m of 10 mm oil hose for the rocker cover to catch/breather tank, I then need to find either a new switch or someone who has a spare steering column toggle switch, the module for mine is still in place as I can see the 2 terminals inside however the toggle grey switch is missing, would prefer this as the direct on/off for the fuel pump, Anyone ideas on where to get oil hose locally other than from the Internet as I would like it asp,

Any info appreciated

Ron
Ronnieboy59
Ronnieboy59
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by tint1n Sat Feb 15 2014, 14:57

Hi Ron,

Merlin Motorsports at Castle coombe racetrack stock fuel/oil hose, I was over there yesterday getting some for my Bug.

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/s/oil-system/oil-hose/standard-rubber-fuel-oil-hose

They also do mail order.

Hope this helps

Regards

Matt
tint1n
tint1n
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Sat Feb 15 2014, 23:54

Oil breather will cause vapour over the engine if you use the small bugpack ones or anything that breath's to the engine bay that's the way they are designed either use the original or as I have always done is use the CB tower again you will have  pipe either going out air or to the carb.

The oil breather pipe you can just use car water hose halfords sell it behind the counter it is not pumping oil through it at high temp or pressure more a mix of oil, air and water vapour.

Fuel pump I feed a fused 3/5 amp live wire to the fuel pump from the steering column switch and earth the pump to its fastening bolt, did the same with Carl's works a treat any switch will do t h at is suitably rated its fiddly to fit though.

Daz
Grizzly
Grizzly
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by owen Sun Feb 16 2014, 09:08

Maplins do small toggle switches for a couple of quid which would do the trick and get you going until you manage to find a suitable original one . Regarding the hose as Daz`says its not under pressure and won'.t get too hot  so any would do for now. 
cheers
owen
owen
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronnieboy59 Sun Feb 16 2014, 09:36

Thanks for info guys, will get a toggle switch today as there is already a hole in the dash, will be easier to fit as well, will get the in line fuse also, Daz reference the breather from the fuel block off, my idea was to feed it to the Breather catch tank, it's not a bug pack one and has several inlets for the rockers to be vented and the fuel pump block off, it also has a small air filter on it, I appear to be slightly confused with this as at least it breathes however with the CB tower it directly goes back to engine case via the filler, anyway will appreciate any advice as I want to get it right.

Ron
Ronnieboy59
Ronnieboy59
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronnieboy59 Wed Feb 19 2014, 21:30

Right have done the wiring for the pump, On/off switch fitted to dash, it has 2 wires from the switch, can I assume when the switch is fitted to the dash that , that is the earth ?' Reference the 2 wires, does it matter which one has the inline fuse fitted to it?' I can then assume the remaining wire goes to the fuse box ? Which fuse do I piggy it to ?' Feeding the wire has been a nightmare as bus is in garage on axle stands and getting the wire to the front was interesting to say the least and time consuming, must have lost a bit from my belly lol, anyway I hope to have it fitted at weekend,,,just waiting on my breather hoses being delivered from marlin motor sport,,,cheers for in Matt, Fingers crossed ,,this is after having my car off the road for over a week with a duff alternator, phew

Ron

Pics update at the weekend
Ronnieboy59
Ronnieboy59
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Engine fitting THIS WEEKEND now with pics Empty SO FAR

Post by Ronnieboy59 Thu Feb 20 2014, 21:20

Will be fitting engine this weekend WEATHER PERMITTING,,,, so far everything seems to be in place however,,i have fitted the wire from fuel pump to the front of bus to be wired up to a toggle on / off switch with an in line fuse (HELP NEEDED FOR THIS ) Iam not good with electrics,,heat exchangers and exhaust have been removed for ease of fitting the engine, Will be doing an engine oil change once fitted and fitting oil hoses and fire sleeves, not sure if it will get fired up at the weekend but gettng fitted and all wire in will be a blessing, Linda is in her element the engine has finally left the House and is sitting on a trolley in the engine bay,,,I WILL BE TRYING TOMORROW ( FRIDAY ) to get the engine in so will post again Friday evening just incase folks want to pop over to help, i will be round at my garage should Linda be out shopping AGAIN LOL.

Was going to buy a CB Filler tower but itwould mean stripping down the carbs and linkage and fan shroud so will leave it for now until i see if the engine will actually run Surprised 

Ta

Ron Cool
Ronnieboy59
Ronnieboy59
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by owen Thu Feb 20 2014, 22:10

Not sure what others have done but all you need is to connect the pump wire to a live feed from the ignition switch and use the toggle switch to break the circuit this doesn't need to be earthed. Either connect directly to the ignition switch or trace the wire back to the fuse box. Looking at the wiring circuits I don't think the ignition wire i.e. wire going to the coil is fused in any case so an in line fuse some where in the circuit would be useful. I'm around at the weekend if you need a hand.
 Personally I would leave the heat exchangers on as it may be difficult to tighten it up once its on although iI know carl's was easy with the J pipes on.
cheers
owen
owen
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Fri Feb 21 2014, 17:09

Fuel pump live feed from fusebox to one side of switch (in),  other side connects to live on fuel pump with inline fuse (out).

Sorry not be on here for a while but have been digging out broken fence posts as I have a few fence panels to replace after the bad weather.

Daz
Grizzly
Grizzly
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Engine fitting THIS WEEKEND now with pics Empty Progress today on engine fitting

Post by Ronnieboy59 Fri Feb 21 2014, 19:46

Managed to get quite a lot done today, engine is in, ye ha, managed to get most things done, only outstanding things to do tomorrow are all easy stuff,,,,minus the switch wiring, thanks for the info Daz but when it comes to electrics i`m thick,

To Do List tomorrow

1. Tighten up Heat exchangers
2. Fit Oil Hoses and Fire Sleeves for Full Flow
3. Connect Fuel Line to Fuel Pump
4. Fit Rocker Breather hoses
5. Fit Breather Catch Tank
6. Fit Fuel Block Off Breather to Breather Tank
7. Fill Engine with Run In Oil
8. Fit Battery

Any observation folks wish to highlight in the pics feel free, don`t think i have done too bad for a novice.

Engine fitting THIS WEEKEND now with pics Progre17
Engine fitting THIS WEEKEND now with pics Progre18
Engine fitting THIS WEEKEND now with pics Progre19
Engine fitting THIS WEEKEND now with pics Progre20
Engine fitting THIS WEEKEND now with pics Progre21

Will be having a late start round at the garage from about 11am onwards.

Ron
Ronnieboy59
Ronnieboy59
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronnieboy59 Fri Feb 21 2014, 20:28

Daz

If you need help with fencing then give me a shout, more than willing to come over and help mate, your not alone with the fence panels, i have 2 being held up by the washing line but i am in no hurry to do mine so let me know and i will bring my wellies.

Ron
Ronnieboy59
Ronnieboy59
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by owen Fri Feb 21 2014, 20:33

looks like you have most of it then well done looks like the oil filter outlets are better placed than carl's was. will  pop and see you late morning if you need a hand finishing any thing off.
cheers
owen
owen
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronnieboy59 Sat Feb 22 2014, 07:32

Much appreciated Owen, your expertise would be much appreciated, Carl and Helen coming over late morning also, maybe I can copy there fuel pump switch set up.

Thanks
Ron
Ronnieboy59
Ronnieboy59
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronnieboy59 Mon Feb 24 2014, 14:35

Hi all

Can anyone Identify these rockers,,are they bugpack Heavy duty and how do i identify the size as there is no markings on them, also the pushrods ( 2 ) got compressed after engine was running for a short time,,,would this be the cause of me setting the valves wrong, has this ever happened to anyone ? pushrods appear good quality steel however they are approx half inch shorter in length that stock ones, can i just change over to stock rockers and pushrods even though the steel pushrods are shorter, will stock rockers allow for this, 120 cam fitted.

Ron

Engine fitting THIS WEEKEND now with pics Engine12

Engine fitting THIS WEEKEND now with pics Engine13
Ronnieboy59
Ronnieboy59
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by owen Mon Feb 24 2014, 20:39

I havn't found out what they are but i reckon they are 1.4's`or more looking at others. if you want to try a std set of rockers and pushrods i've got  a spare set i  can sort out to save you stripping out  your old engine unless you have done that already. I would have thought they should fit as basically carls`engine has std pushrods and  rockers on his.However you probably have a wilder cam and even bigger valves which is why its got the aftermarket  pushrods and rockers to get the most out of it.
owen
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronnieboy59 Tue Feb 25 2014, 09:18

Thanks Owen, yes was thinking of stripping old engine but if you have a spare set may take you up on that, I have been doing a bit of checking with others to find out more info if I can change to stock as I had a look at old engine yesterday and think the mount for the rockers is maybe different as I have 044 heads, will be checking again today but the weather is horrid, so far found that shorter pushrods are due to bigger ratio rockers but can't get a definitive answer on the 120 cam throw to enable stock rockers and pushrods, now I know why folks stick to near stock eh, still,,I have learnt a great deal so far and it appears I will be learning even more now this has happened, will get there in time I think,,thanks again for your help and appreciate the offer of the parts, maybe get back to you later on that.

Ta

Ron
Ronnieboy59
Ronnieboy59
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronnieboy59 Tue Feb 25 2014, 20:10

FAO Owen, hi Owen,got some. Info back off my mate Brian who spoke with his engine builder,,,they say yes stock rockers and rods will fit but I will be down on the power as to the original set up, that I could live with just to get the engine running in, also spoke with Kev Howard today and there was a mention of schimms from the rockers to the mounting bolt on the heads, there is none on mine and there should be some, how they work I am not too sure,,maybe act as spacers for alignment. Also back in touch with the guy I bought the engine from and he has spent the whole day searching for the engine builders details, won,t hold out much hope on that, if the spare rockers and rods are still on offer then yes please, any damage I will pay for as I have not stripped mine as yet, if you have changed your rockers in the past do you know if there are schimms on stock rockers ?

Ta

Ron
Maybe I can collect from you and have it all fitted by the weekend, lol
Ronnieboy59
Ronnieboy59
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Tue Feb 25 2014, 20:56

Down on power but as you say you will be on the road, can always upgrade them later if you felt you need to. The rockers should have shims under the pedastles from what I remember.
Grizzly
Grizzly
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronnieboy59 Tue Feb 25 2014, 21:16

Hi Daz, would that be schimms on stock ones or performance ones,,or both, all have them ? Ta for your help on Sunday, much appreciated, if I need schimms where do I source them from and how do I set them up with stock rockers ?

Ta

Ron
Ronnieboy59
Ronnieboy59
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by owen Tue Feb 25 2014, 21:58

hi ron,
yep you're welcome to try them stock set ups don't have shims well not on the ones's i've worked on. The idea is is to get the geometry spot on to maximise valve lift etc sometimes the shims are enough to use std pushrods not usually a problem on stock setups though..
Like you I hadn't realised it was so complicated i thought only stroker engines had these sort of problems Standard rockers won't open the valves up so much but if you have heavy duty springs that may be a good thing then it shouldn't bend the standard push rods.
will pop them round tomorrow night unless you're desperate  for them
owen
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next