Aircooled Konnection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

electric fuel pump

3 posters

Go down

electric fuel pump Empty electric fuel pump

Post by Guest Sat Feb 11 2012, 17:33

Hi can anyone tell me what are the benifits if any, that a electric fuel pump has over a mechanical one on a twin carb set-up .

Regards Alex

Back to top Go down

electric fuel pump Empty Re: electric fuel pump

Post by Ronnieboy59 Sat Feb 11 2012, 18:10

Off the top of my head, a mechanical fuel pump has a pre-set Psi where as an electrical one has more of a variance however should be set to 3.5 to 5 psi, depending on what your running.

Ron
Ronnieboy59
Ronnieboy59
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Sat Feb 11 2012, 19:53

No real benefit electric fuel pump just gives constant flow, mechanical pumps with engine revolutions. I fitted an electric pump as I was noticing some fuel starvation on long hot journeys. I like the idea I can turn off my fuel pump from the drivers cab too.

You can't really tell the psi on mechanical fuel pump but it can be adjusted by fitting or removing gaskets so as to increase/decrease the rods effectiveness, in reality you should have a pressure adjustment gauge on a stock mechanical as well as an electrical on dual carbs unless you truly know they are giving 3.5 psi as other wise you can over fuel your carbs not an issue on the stock setup with single carb.

I personally use the cb performance or carter rotary pump as it is already regulated to 3.5 psi, comes with an inline fuel filter and is a lot quieter than the facet.

Last edited by Grizzly on Sun Feb 12 2012, 12:09; edited 1 time in total
Grizzly
Grizzly
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

electric fuel pump Empty Fuel pump

Post by Erna & David Sun Feb 12 2012, 08:22

Are you resticted on the cb or carter pump as to the location/distance from the outlet of the fuel tap on tank as you are with the facet fuel pump. David
Erna & David
Erna & David
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Sun Feb 12 2012, 12:07

Erna & David wrote:Are you resticted on the cb or carter pump as to the location/distance from the outlet of the fuel tap on tank as you are with the facet fuel pump. David

What are the restrictions on the facet, the only thing you need to ensure is that the gravity of drop from the fuel tank to the pump is enough to ensure fuel is presented to the pump unless you have elaborately long fuel lines should be easy enough.

daz

Last edited by Grizzly on Sun Feb 12 2012, 21:37; edited 1 time in total
Grizzly
Grizzly
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

electric fuel pump Empty Facet

Post by Erna & David Sun Feb 12 2012, 13:22

The Facet has to be mounted within 12 inches from outlet of tank (below the bottom of tank) and situated at 45 degrees which is near as an impossible task in the engine bay considerating everything, I have stuck ours on the left side (looking at engine bay) which is a couple of foot away from tank outlet tap and about 3-4 inches below bottom of tank, fuel is coming out of fuel lines at carbs but whether it is enough pressure there or not wont know until engine is running. David
Erna & David
Erna & David
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Sun Feb 12 2012, 21:36

The instructions are probably just to ensure fuel is at the pump once it goes through the facet, there will be plenty of fuel going to the carbs you may need to fit a regulator though if it starts over fuelling the carbs if you haven't already.
Grizzly
Grizzly
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down