Aircooled Konnection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5-rib (1800) 002 gearbox

2 posters

Go down

5-rib (1800) 002 gearbox Empty 5-rib (1800) 002 gearbox

Post by VeeDubMan Wed Jul 11 2012, 13:49

I got a 5-rib (1800) 002 gearbox for my '71 bay (1641cc) a couple of years back from a guy who reconditions them. I'm in the process of fitting it and it was in for a while whilst I got the Gene Berg shifter installed, but I wasn't able to select all the gears correctly (gearbox was suspended in the correct position). 1st/2nd/reverse were OK to select, but I couldn't get 3rd/4th so I took it out to see if there was an issue with the box as opposed to the linkage/bushes (new bushes ordered today anyway).

Should I be able to select all the gears smoothly with no engine/clutch in? I've attached the coupler to the input shaft of the gearbox again while it's out of the bus but it still seems difficult to select all the gears. I'm just wondering if there needs to be some power/rotation there for it all to work correctly?

Cheers
VeeDubMan
VeeDubMan
Forum Member
Forum Member

Back to top Go down

5-rib (1800) 002 gearbox Empty Re: 5-rib (1800) 002 gearbox

Post by Grizzly Wed Jul 11 2012, 16:30

Cant see why a bay gearbox would be any different from the rest, you should be able to select gears without power, usually its warn bushes that cause selection problems and the Gene Berg shifters your not supposed to have any issues with but with some of the other brands empi / scat can be a bit of a fiddle used have to make sure it went over to the left as far as possible to get gear selection right.
Grizzly
Grizzly
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down