Aircooled Konnection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ENGINE RUNING TODAY

+2
owen
Ronnieboy59
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

ENGINE RUNING TODAY - Page 2 Empty Re: ENGINE RUNING TODAY

Post by Grizzly Mon Mar 17 2014, 20:20

No worries Ron will try for tomoz Tuesday evening ... Daz
Grizzly
Grizzly
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronnieboy59 Mon Mar 17 2014, 20:24

Appreciated very very much Daz

Thanks

Ron
Ronnieboy59
Ronnieboy59
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronnieboy59 Wed Mar 19 2014, 10:58

Many thanks Daz for your time last night, very much appreciated, maybe once Headley has tweaked the carbs it will idle better and I can start knocking up the miles.

Ta
Ron
Ronnieboy59
Ronnieboy59
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Thu Mar 20 2014, 08:18

Good luck at Millway today Ron .....
Grizzly
Grizzly
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronnieboy59 Thu Mar 20 2014, 11:22

Ta mate,there now,accelerator cable snapped already,and changed,linkage is the problem soaking connecting rods shorter to get proper idle,think I will be here a while,will post later how things turn out.

Ron
Ronnieboy59
Ronnieboy59
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronnieboy59 Thu Mar 20 2014, 11:24

Meant to read ,making connecting rods shorter,need to check post before pressing send button eh
Ronnieboy59
Ronnieboy59
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronnieboy59 Thu Mar 20 2014, 14:48

Ah we'll bit of a waste of time today at Headleys tuning, spent the 1st hour trying to re-set the linkage for full throttle, dropped the linkage onto alternator and got a nice spark,,,it then fried my accelerator cable, that was the next half hour taken up, Headley did all the mixture settings identical to what we had done, he then decided the engine will not idle as the butterflies won't close fully,,,think this is the part I missed on Pre-tuning, As Headley had other work arriving we agreed to get bus back running and I will remove carbs and check the Butterfly settings then take it back for fine tuning,,,more like an engine out job I think, anyway going to have some Brain rest lol and make a start next week, in the meantime have ordered new throttle linkage from Butty on ssvc as this will help carbs return,,,what a few weeks but now got to learn about carbs

Ron
Ronnieboy59
Ronnieboy59
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by carl & helen Sun Mar 23 2014, 07:26

Ron, just a quick thought...
I've got a spare pair of untouched dell 36s that I picked up cheap at slough. If you need to fiddle and make checks would it help if I dropped these over so you've got a 36 out, ready and available? Might even help me find out what I've got as I've only stored them so far and am pretty happy with my dell 34s on the new 1776.

And if you decide to engine out let me know and I'll give you a hand as and when I can
carl & helen
carl & helen
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronnieboy59 Sun Mar 23 2014, 09:03

That would be marvelous, your a very kind man , that would help massively

Thanks

Ron
Ronnieboy59
Ronnieboy59
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by owen Sun Mar 23 2014, 09:08

Good idea Carl might be good to compare the carbs and see how easy it is to adjust the throttle spindle. Ron can you get the dodgy carb with the engine in? may be worth swapping it with one of carls and see what happens /. Did Headleys come up with anything else that was wrong or didn't they get that far?
cheers
owen
owen
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronnieboy59 Sun Mar 23 2014, 10:18

Headleys did not do anything we did not do already, he said that without the engine idling properly not a lot could be done apart from balance carbs with air fuel etc, he was a bit miffed when I said timing was done and set with a strobe light at 30 degrees BTDC, his way is timing set at idle speed and let the engine do the rest ? Anyway, fitted Buttys new throttle pedal linkage yesterday and I must say,,what a difference it made, I thought I had full throttle before but now it's amazing, a cheap fix and easy to fit on a LHD, Carl lending me the carb to compare will help a lot, it's frustrating as I know the engine is so nearly there and it drives fantastically well, just the idles, someone pointed out that the bearing in the carbs maybe stuck due to the carbs been sitting a while ( 4years ) this will be allowing fuel to flow past and adjusting the idle would make no difference, all I need to know now is what bearing they are on about and where in the carbs they are, won't be doing much for a day or 2 as need some Brain rest lol, will be giving Euro carb a call soon and Gabrielle in Italy he is the Alfa 1750 man that builds the dells, maybe even chat with Dan Simpson at Vintage speed,,I will get there sooner or later eh,,,no stress.

Ta guys

Ron
Ronnieboy59
Ronnieboy59
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Mon Mar 24 2014, 20:22

Ronnieboy59 wrote:Headleys did not do anything we did not do already, he said that without the engine idling properly not a lot could be done apart from balance carbs with air fuel etc, he was a bit miffed when I said timing was done and set with a strobe light at 30 degrees BTDC, his way is timing set at idle speed and let the engine do the rest ? Anyway, fitted Buttys new throttle pedal linkage yesterday and I must say,,what a difference it made, I thought I had full throttle before but now it's amazing, a cheap fix and easy to fit on a LHD, Carl lending me the carb to compare will help a lot, it's frustrating as I know the engine is so nearly there and it drives fantastically well, just the idles, someone pointed out that the bearing in the carbs maybe stuck due to the carbs been sitting a while ( 4years ) this will be allowing fuel to flow past and adjusting the idle would make no difference, all I need to know now is what bearing they are on about and where in the carbs they are, won't be doing much for a day or 2 as need some Brain rest lol, will be giving Euro carb a call soon and Gabrielle in Italy he is the Alfa 1750 man that builds the dells, maybe even chat with Dan Simpson at Vintage speed,,I will get there sooner or later eh,,,no stress.

Ta guys

Ron

This is why Ron, Headley is a good old skool tuner but he probably isn't that up with aircooled engines ....

Note: Maximum advance is much more important than idle advance for the aircooled VW engine and 009 distributor, the maximum advance MUST be between 28 and 32 degrees at 3000+ rpm. The 009 distributor is usually set at 3000+ rpm because it produces its maximum advance at 2600-2700rpm. Setting the maximum advance timing at 3000+ rpm ensures that it's "all in." If the engine pings/detonates at 32 degrees, then use 30 degrees or even 28. Never less than 28 degrees or the engine will be grossly under-advanced at high rpms

I know we didn't have much time that night but as we discussed, I know you guys checked the butterflies and everything already, I cant see it being bearings on both carbs to be honest. I would undo the accelerator cable and linkage and get the revs down on the air / mixtures screws until its idling about 800 / 900 rpm or nearest to it you can. Make sure they are all air balance (snail). Once that's done then with the accelerator disconnected start adjusting the linkage so it opening correctly once happy lastly connect the accelerator cable.

Daz
Grizzly
Grizzly
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronnieboy59 Mon Mar 24 2014, 20:48

Thanks
For info Daz,had left carb off today and the butterfly did not close all the way so adjusted it by the spring on accelerator pump,fitted carb back on and only made a little difference,will do right carb tomo, I will get there in the end but want to bring bus to club meet Friday,also fitted butty,s throttle pedal linkage which is a great bit of kit,thought I had full throttle,,until I fitted it wow,more info in the week on the progress with the right side carb

Ta Mate

Ron
Ronnieboy59
Ronnieboy59
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronnieboy59 Wed Mar 26 2014, 09:19

Both carbs have been off and stripped, checked and replaced with very little change to engine idle, either I am being dim or there is an underlying issue with the engine ? Last resort now before I chuck in the towel is to go back to the high ratio rockers with shortened chromoly pushrods and see if that changes things, if not, back in with the old 16sp,

Ta for all the help guys and Carl for letting me compare carbs, that was a great help.

Ron
Ronnieboy59
Ronnieboy59
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Wed Mar 26 2014, 10:02

Ronnieboy59 wrote:Both carbs have been off and stripped, checked and replaced with very little change to engine idle, either I am being dim or there is an underlying issue with the engine ? Last resort now before I chuck in the towel is to go back to the high ratio rockers with shortened chromoly pushrods and see if that changes things, if not, back in with the old 16sp,

Ta for all the help guys and Carl for letting me compare carbs, that was a great help.

Ron

Dont get too disheartened Ron gets to us all at some point do the idle screws not bring the revs down when you adjust them?
Grizzly
Grizzly
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronnieboy59 Wed Mar 26 2014, 16:59

Did valves today and played with the idles screws and the air fuel mixture to try to get engine to idle a bit lower,,,no joy at all, Headleys had the mixture screws out about 5 turns ??? Bit much I think, anyway took the bus for a wee spin and as usual it drives really good, engine is pulling very well, Did get an email from a guy called Gary from VZI who said it sounds as though my carbs are shot and perhaps need a full rebuild, ,,not cheap either, maybe just look for another set but Sod's law it will be an engine problem and not a carb problem if I were to go and buy another set of carbs, will plod on for now,,,just a thought here,,,,how would an engine Run with no shims on the dizzy drive pinion? Just In case they did fall off when I turned the pinion,,,would it cause such an engine problem relating to idling,

Ron
Ronnieboy59
Ronnieboy59
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Wed Mar 26 2014, 17:22

Ronnieboy59 wrote:Did valves today and played with the idles screws and the air fuel mixture to try to get engine to idle a bit lower,,,no joy at all, Headleys had the mixture screws out about 5 turns ??? Bit much I think, anyway took the bus for a wee spin and as usual it drives really good, engine is pulling very well, Did get an email from a guy called Gary from VZI who said it sounds as though my carbs are shot and perhaps need a full rebuild, ,,not cheap either, maybe just look for another set but Sod's law it will be an engine problem and not a carb problem if I were to go and buy another set of carbs, will plod on for now,,,just a thought here,,,,how would an engine Run with no shims on the dizzy drive pinion? Just In case they did fall off when I turned the pinion,,,would it cause such an engine problem relating to idling,

Ron

Was it Gary Angell by any chance, they do cost a bit to get rebuilt not the parts it's always the pigging labour. You could always borrow some carbs to rule it out. Cannot see it being the shims, you have tried it with multiple dizzys and sure it would affect the whole rev range.
Grizzly
Grizzly
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronnieboy59 Wed Mar 26 2014, 17:26

Never got the guys last name, just Gary, think I might try another Dizzy tomorrow but then I would probably need the timing doing again but at least I can rule it out, did try an 009 a few weeks ago but have another 009 to try,

Ta
Ron
Ronnieboy59
Ronnieboy59
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by owen Wed Mar 26 2014, 21:15

You could try one or both of Carls` carb's.I'm sure he wouldn't mind and its maybe worth a try and only costs you your time. Dizzy shims just take the play out the shaft and  by rights you should match them up with a particular dizzy to minimise play at least that's what they do on race engines, ours don't rev that high so it shouldn't affect it that much and generally just  two are chucked in for luck. When we timed the engine it didn't seem to fluctuate that much so should be okay. Its always worth setting up a spare dizzy so in future you can simply swap it over to eliminate problems on the road.
owen
owen
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronnieboy59 Wed Mar 26 2014, 21:25

Agree with you Owen, I am trying to contact a guy who has dell 36s for sale but no reply yet, think he lives outside the UK, have got a spare dizzy and the original one off my old engine so will get one set up and carry as a spare, getting as bad/good as you Owen for carrying spare lol, Got a guy Gary maybe coming over next week and he knows all about Dell carbs and setting up etc, happy to plod on for now and will be taking the bus up club meet Friday ,

Thanks Owen / Daz

Ron
Ronnieboy59
Ronnieboy59
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Thu Mar 27 2014, 08:42

Yep swap the carbs over Ron I wouldnt rush out and buy some unnecessarily till you know. Carl's carbs are they 36's as well should be easy swap ... I have a spare set of 34 FRD's you can borrow to test otherwise worst case. Gary Angell of Gary Angell Racing he is in Winborne I believe that's who I was thinking of if he is not too far away.

Daz
Grizzly
Grizzly
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronnieboy59 Thu Mar 27 2014, 13:36

Hi Daz, yep that's the guy and he has offered to come over sometime next week if I don't get them sorted by then, , interesting thing with engine this morning, warmed the engine up and still idled badly, decided to go back to a 009 Bosch, turned in all mixture screws and air by pass screws, turned mixture screws out 3 full turns, started engine and could hardly get it to start so had to move the dizzy slightly, anyway got it started, using the linkage I reved engine to approx 3000 revs and moved dizzy anti clockwise a tad at a time till engine woul just idle then used the idle screws to get a reasonable idle,,,,first time ever I used the idle screws eh, anyway I then further adjusted the air fuel mixture on each pot 1 at a time, this is what gets me is it never appears to pop etc when I turn the screw almost fully in yet it says in the book it should? All 4 mixture screws are approx 4 turns out and the engine idle is very slightly better however it's probably needing timing done again, now when I start it from cold it will not idle for the first minute or so but then it idles lumpy, now the idle screws are at least nearly usable, not taken it for a drive today as an oil squirt has appeared where exhaust meets heat exchanger, anyway yes Carl has got Dell 36s but I would not dream of asking to borrow them, they need converted as they are still set up for a car and I would be devastated to change all my parts to Carl's Carbs and if any damage happened to Carl's Carbs then I would feel pretty bad, will be at the club meet in my bus tomorrow I hope.

Ron
Ronnieboy59
Ronnieboy59
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum: