Aircooled Konnection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ENGINE RUNING TODAY

+2
owen
Ronnieboy59
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

ENGINE RUNING TODAY Empty ENGINE RUNING TODAY

Post by Ronnieboy59 Sun Mar 02 2014, 17:17

YEE HA, after probably the worst week of my life whilst owning a bus, too much reading up on info, too many conflicting issues,,,will work,,,wont work, too much confused knowledge,,thought stuff it,,Went with my old engine and stripped the Rockers and stock pushrods, got everything fitted, set the valves as i have done in the past every time, Keith came over and hey presto,,hope the link works,,needs the carbs set up properly as it was ballpark figures from the book, also timing needs doing but at least got a running engine to work with, no even a puff of smoke from exhaust but the exhaust sure gets hot,,my little finger is burnt to bits lol, small price to pay for a huge smile across my face at the mo, cheers Keith for the kick up the butt yesterday, all in im a happy bunny at the moment, no doubt a few obstacles ahead but to be expected.

Ron

wont let me upload the video,,file must be too big,,sorry

Vdeo is on my facebook page, any whizz kids out there who can do some tuning etc can pop over anytime, then off to the rolling road. Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy

Owen,,,many thanks for the offer of the rockers etc but i never had the heart to take them just in case i damaged them, much appreciated on everything, and to everyone else who helped,,Daz, Carl, Helen, Keith,,and Linda putting up with my constant talk talk engine stuff ha ha
Ronnieboy59
Ronnieboy59
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

ENGINE RUNING TODAY Empty Re: ENGINE RUNING TODAY

Post by owen Sun Mar 02 2014, 18:07

Well done Ron glad you got it going. Can't see it doing any harm running on the standard setup  for now, probably better off running it in like that and getting the engine bedded in.  You can get the rest of it  checked out and sorted now its running.
cheers
Owen
owen
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Sun Mar 02 2014, 18:39

Great news all come good in the end well done .....
Grizzly
Grizzly
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

ENGINE RUNING TODAY Empty Fantastic

Post by carl & helen Mon Mar 03 2014, 13:21

Oh that is fabulous news. Can't wait to pop round for a look and listen.

Been mega busy with work and down in Eastbourne for the weekend but just been catching up and reading through.

We ought to organise a little tentative run around at the weekend if all is well. Still need to crack off those 500 run in miles and get hoses measured up and all changed over.

Carlos
carl & helen
carl & helen
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronnieboy59 Tue Mar 04 2014, 14:24

Well I have been at the engine for 3 days now and trying to get the timing and carbs sorted, 1st up I read the Dellorto handbook, that turned out too technical for me lol, engine does not idle consistent and when initial rev up it coughs and farts big time, have set air fuel mixture back to 3 turns out as I have tried to richen the fuel however no change even at 4 turns out, anyone any pointers on this, not even had a puff of smoke from the exhaust yet, was trying to get at least a little bit of black smoke to work on.??

Had a little drive out and in the garage today and almost sure it's a fuel set up issue?

Ta in advance

Ron

All welcome lol coffee and biscuits
Ronnieboy59
Ronnieboy59
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronnieboy59 Wed Mar 05 2014, 15:26

Decided such a nice day to tinker with the bus, got it running slightly better than yesterday but still carbs popping etc and idle is not great but it was good enough to try a little venture out on the road, only a mile or so and it was sluggish pulling away from junctions etc in 1st however when I got into 2nd the power kicked in and my god it moved, gear range is long in both 2nd and 3rd. Did not get a chance to get in 4th as I ran out of road, like I said it was a short venture just to put the engine under pressure and check for oil and fuel leaks,,all ok so far, can't get the bus on the rolling road yet as Millway tuning has problems with there's at the moment, maybe another tinker tomorrow and see how it goes, maybe even try a couple of miles, also fitted the Petronics dizzy today and that helped a lot I think .

Ron
Ronnieboy59
Ronnieboy59
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Wed Mar 05 2014, 22:55

Ronnieboy59 wrote:Decided such a nice day to tinker with the bus, got it running slightly better than yesterday but still carbs popping etc and idle is not great but it was good enough to try a little venture out on the road, only a mile or so and it was sluggish pulling away from junctions etc in 1st however when I got into 2nd the power kicked in and my god it moved, gear range is long in both 2nd and 3rd. Did not get a chance to get in 4th as I ran out of road, like I said it was a short venture just to put the engine under pressure and check for oil and fuel leaks,,all ok so far, can't get the bus on the rolling road yet as Millway tuning has problems with there's at the moment, maybe another tinker tomorrow and see how it goes, maybe even try a couple of miles, also fitted the Petronics dizzy today and that helped a lot I think .

Ron

Hi Ron did you get my mail, I did respond 

Daz
Grizzly
Grizzly
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronnieboy59 Thu Mar 06 2014, 06:24

Hi Daz,yes Linda always hogging the IPad and said you sent a message will read message and let you know about the air thingy.

Thanks mate

Ron
Ronnieboy59
Ronnieboy59
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronnieboy59 Thu Mar 06 2014, 19:15

10 miles on the clock today, still can't get the bottom end idle and timing to stabilise but gave it a good thrashing and went to visit Paul w and Liam for a catch up on work they are doing on a samba, hope to be out in the bus again tomorrow and try a few different settings on the carbs, think the 130 jets are not right and should be a different size as maybe not enough fuel at low speed.

Ron
Ronnieboy59
Ronnieboy59
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Aussiboris Fri Mar 07 2014, 14:01

Well done Ron,
That's a good feeling.  I look forward to seeing it soon
Rob
Aussiboris
Aussiboris
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Fri Mar 07 2014, 15:07

Hi Ron

Dug out from the alfaman  VW / Porsche DRLA 36 / 40 Carburettors

If you think of number 1 as 1600 and 4 as 2000 and above you should be about number 2, but they are a start off guide.

Choke; main jet; emulsion; air corrector; idle jet; pump jet; needle valve

1. 28; 112; 9164.2; 180; 55; 33; 150
  2. 30; 122; 9164.2; 180; 55; 33; 150
  3. 32; 132; 9164.2; 180; 58; 33; 150
  4. 34; 140; 9164.2; 180; 60; 33; 150

Use 28mm chokes for engines up to 1800cc.Ensure the float level is set to 5-6mm and you balance them out with an air meter otherwise they will never idle properly.

Daz
Grizzly
Grizzly
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronnieboy59 Sat Mar 08 2014, 09:37

Thanks Daz
Ronnieboy59
Ronnieboy59
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by owen Sun Mar 09 2014, 08:55

Don't think i can help  much Ron, Jets sound about right so wouldn't bother changing the main jets as that's more for high speed running normally you are running on the idle jets for 90% of the time but sounds if its the slow running circuit. could be muck in the carbs it doesn't take much and crap within the carb might have come loose. If the float height is wrong that can have a big effect as well.Try to narrow it down to one side or another if you can. You basically have a single carb for each cylinder so try and see if its just one playing up and double check the timing and tappets now its run for a while.
cheers
owen
owen
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronnieboy59 Tue Mar 11 2014, 09:32

Ta Owen, think I have narrowed it down to the Right side carb, left carb appears fine and sweet, left carb manifold is not getting very hot where as the other side is fairly hot, have been working on the right carb and have done the following,
Adjusted mixture screw all the way out and then back in till it begins to misfire and then turn out mixture screw till it fires up again, did this on each cylinder and made very little difference.
Have removed the mains jets and emulsions and cleaned them then replaced, very little difference.
Have removed the Idle jets, tried brand new 55s, no change, cleaned the 60s and replaced them.

Getting lots of blow back and flames from the top of the right carb so guess it could be an air leak from somewhere so more time today to check from the manifold up, failing that I may have to pull the engine out which is a last resort.

Ta
Ron
Ronnieboy59
Ronnieboy59
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronnieboy59 Tue Mar 11 2014, 14:59

Here we are again, today I fully nipped up the manifold bolts on the right carb, took the pump jets out and cleaned them even though they look brand new ( 35s ) took the top off the right carb and the velocity stacks, now here is a question,,,,there is only one bolt hole to mount the stacks on that go through the top plate to the carb body, the top plate has the holes but there is no hole on the body to fit a screw or bolt through, this is causing the top plate to lean slightly when nipped up and a small gap appears between the top plate, the gasket and the main body, anyone aware if this could be an issue with a leak etc, otherwise I am at the end of my checks without taking the carb off the engine ?.

Ta

Ron
Ronnieboy59
Ronnieboy59
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronnieboy59 Wed Mar 12 2014, 16:53

Worked on the bus again Today, seem to be just making things worse, gave up, it beat me, need the timing done by strobe light but I haven,t a clue as never used one and the linkage must be set up properly as Headley said it could cost a lot more if he has to set it up, just when I think I get it nearly there I take it for a run and it's flat, adjust timing and starts back firing from the carb, tweaked the idle screws on the linkage and that helped a lot, probably the only good thing I Sussed today, seems all out of synch now, anyway booked in for next Thursday at Headleys but not for rolling road, any help with the strobe timing thing and setting linkage correctly would be much appreciated,,,so frustrating,

Thanks

Ron

Think we will all be happy when this thread comes to an end eh
Ronnieboy59
Ronnieboy59
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Wed Mar 12 2014, 18:17

Sorry Ron earliest I can do is probably one evening next week Ceara's birthday Saturday and I am out Sunday let me know if it helps any.

Daz
Grizzly
Grizzly
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by tint1n Wed Mar 12 2014, 18:39

Ron I could probably get hold of a strobe gun to do the timing if that helps, they are easy enough to use.

Let me know

Regards

Matt
tint1n
tint1n
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by owen Wed Mar 12 2014, 19:52

Can pop across sat or sun morning if you like ron or welcome to borrow my timing light  if you want to have a go yourself need daylight really to muck around with it and i don't get back here till after 6.
cheers
owen
owen
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronnieboy59 Wed Mar 12 2014, 20:54

Daz anytime next week would be a great help if you can,just to check timing and linkage prior to going to headleys on Thirsday,I can bring bus to you if that's better for you ? Very much appreciated.

Ta Owen and Mark but I have never used a timing strobe light so all new to me but I will be at the garage Sat/Sun if anyone wants to have a bash lol,getting sick of being in oily dirty clothes day after day after day, perks of owning a dub I suppose eh lol much appreciated guys.
Ronnieboy59
Ronnieboy59
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by owen Fri Mar 14 2014, 09:00

will pop over Sat morning if thats okay also have a  snail (air) meter to help balance the carbs hopefully get it abit further on.
cheers
owen
owen
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronnieboy59 Fri Mar 14 2014, 09:33

Thanks Owen, much appreciated, i should be at the garage mid morning ish, going to tinker a bit more today, will be getting my hands on a OG 009 DIZZY next week i hope, just incase all this pertonics stuff is causing the issues, anyway, see you tomo mate and thanks again.

Ron
Ronnieboy59
Ronnieboy59
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronnieboy59 Sun Mar 16 2014, 06:51

Many thanks to Carl and Owen for coming over yesterdayto help with the engine, Timing all set at 30 degrees BTDC and lock off, maybe had a vacume leak on the right carb which is now blocked off, no more coughing and backfiring,,,at least for now, still can't get the carbs to Idle so the engine still running Too fast, probably just over a 1000 revs, have played with the linkage but still can't make the things all marry up, will try again this morning, so very nearly there and probably something really simple I am missing but then I am at Novice at all this lol

Thanks
Ron
Ronnieboy59
Ronnieboy59
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Mon Mar 17 2014, 09:02

Great sounds like you made real progress, if you still need me to come over one evening let me know ... Daz
Grizzly
Grizzly
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronnieboy59 Mon Mar 17 2014, 11:54

Hi Daz, If you could just pop over one evening just to have a look and a listen please prior to going to Hedleys on Thursday, you may be able to pinpoint any issues on the idling, very much appreciated Daz,

Ron

Any night that suits you Daz.
Ronnieboy59
Ronnieboy59
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next