Aircooled Konnection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another engine not starting

2 posters

Go down

Another engine not starting Empty Another engine not starting

Post by Kevan Sun Aug 05 2012, 13:40

Hi guys,

I took the bug out yesterday and got as far as halfords, about a mile and a half.

After having a look around, I got back in the car and it wouldn't start. First thought was that the battery was flat, so took this off and charged it overnight.

Went back with charged batt and the car still won't start! Ended up getting it towed home by Mr AA!

It sounds like the starter motor isn't spinning fast enough, hence my first thought of dead batt.

After looking further, the engine isn't smooth to turn all the way around. It seems to have some resistance on one cylinder.

I have had a problem with the engine sticking, which I think is down to the starter not meshing correctly with the flywheel.

Any ideas or pointers would be gratefully appreciated!

Kevan
Kevan
Forum Member
Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Another engine not starting Empty Re: Another engine not starting

Post by owen Sun Aug 05 2012, 21:56

Could be several things you might be lucky and its just poor coonections or earhing .Also the two bolts that hold the starter on could have worked loose and that could cause starting issues. These is a starter bush which the starter shaft runs in if that is worn it can stop the starter working and stop it engaging properly

Seems we have all had similar problems recently with starters mine played up yesterday so i have been cleaning up all the connections and leads if that doesn't cure it I will be after a new starter motor a recon one this time not a cheapo chinese one.

If you think the motor is tight in places you could take all the plugs out,firstly to see if they look the same and firing ok and secondly to turn the engine over and see if it is still tight in places.
owen
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Mon Aug 06 2012, 18:18

Hi Owen,

I had another look today. Put a good battery on to rule that one out completely!

Took the spark plugs out and gave them a good clean. The engine seemed to turn over better without them in.

Put them back and still having problems. The engine turns over briefly, then struggles to turn over at all.

I'm planning to try and get at the starter motor latter in the week to check bolts and wiring. Been trying to find a few photos to show how to access it!
Kevan
Forum Member
Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down