Aircooled Konnection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cooling Flaps - Help!

3 posters

Go down

Cooling Flaps  - Help! Empty Cooling Flaps - Help!

Post by chillicamper Wed Jun 29 2011, 22:04

I'm in the middle of stripping down my old engine ready for the rebuilt 1600 one to arrive. My fan housing does not have any cooling flaps, themostat or linkage fitted. I want to set up the cooling system as VW intended - especialy as I use the van through the winter and I don't think the cold starts and long warm up time have helped the wear on the engine.

I have sourced the flaps, themostat/bracket and themostat rod, but need to see some pictures/diagragms of exactly how the whole system fits togther/in the fan housing etc

I have found a few exploded diagrams on the net, but none are that clear in showing me whats what.

Any pictures of the positions of the flaps within the fan housing, the linkage and the connecting rod etc would be greatly appreciated

From the diagrams I have,I think I am missing the springs/linkages that go across the back of the fan housing and I do not know how the flaps are fixed in to the fan housing.

Anyone know where I can pick up the parts I need as well? Cool Air seem to do a cooling flaps kit, but I still don't know if it has all the linkages I need and I already have some 2nd hand flaps so I don't need the new ones in the kit.
chillicamper
chillicamper
Forum Member
Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Cooling Flaps  - Help! Empty Re: Cooling Flaps - Help!

Post by Tone & Linz Wed Jun 29 2011, 23:50

This is a job on my to do list for one of my engines. I'm a long way from getting it done too. I bought a kit from Deimos Air Cooled that's still in it's box and I think it had a diagram of how to fit. Trouble is it's a long way to the back of my shed (that's where it is). If I get time I will try digging it out tomorrow.

On their parts page they have the full kit here but it's temporarily unavailable to buy. You can see all the parts required on the supersized photo though.

Tone
Tone & Linz
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chillicamper Thu Jun 30 2011, 06:23

Cheers for that - its the clearest picture I have seen so far!. Based on that photo on the Deimos site, I'm only missing the long angled connecting bar.

However, I have also seen this:

http://www.coolairvw.co.uk/Item/Shop_by_Product~Engine_Products~Air_Cooling_System~Thermostat_and_Flaps/113198119/T1-P-T2_1300cc-1600cc_Fan_Shroud_Flap_Set.html

on the Cool Air site.

On one page they show an exploded diagram taken from VW microfiche - which looks like the Deimos set up. On the link above, the set up seems to involve a lot of different looking parts - so now I'm confused??

Either way, it looks like I need to find the connecting bar on the back of the fan housing at least.

I may call someone like Megabug to try and find some 2nd hand bits, but without knowing what bits I'm asking for it could be a bit tricky!
Embarassed
chillicamper
chillicamper
Forum Member
Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Thu Jun 30 2011, 17:31

I think my set are up the workshop but I will have a shifty round the garage see if they are in there they arent too bad from what I remember just fix the screws in the bottom of the fan shroud tricky bit is getting the rod through the cylinder heads and into the thermostat.
Grizzly
Grizzly
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum