Aircooled Konnection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bay Front Beam Installation

2 posters

Go down

Bay Front Beam Installation Empty Bay Front Beam Installation

Post by Mister C Thu Jan 09 2014, 22:11

I took my secondhand beam over to VW Jim (who has been a top bloke - thanks for the recommendation) and welded my adjusters, fixed the new ball joints and sorted the steering pin.

After I picked it up I got home and realised I had made an almighty c**k up as even though its is a great beam it was from and early bay/crossover bay window and the holes to bolt it to the chassis rails are at different centres and will not fit my late bay!

I was rushing to get things ready to work on over Christmas and I thought I had checked everything but lesson learned!!!! Shocked 

Old beam is now removed (grateful for Steve's help) and see photos

Bay Front Beam Installation P1054915

Bay Front Beam Installation P1054918

Bay Front Beam Installation P1054923

Can someone answer my queries below?

1 - How do I reduce torsion bar pressure so I can remove the suspension arms?
2 - Does anyone know if earlybay/late bay suspesions arms are the same? (they look very similar)
3 - When refitting the torsion bars and arms to the new beam, is it best to install before fitting the beam to the bus or after?
4 - How do you re set the torsion bar pressure?

Finally, if the new beam is a modern one without bump stops, how do you fit the spindles back on  to the suspension arms as with standard beam the top arm rests on the bump stop?

Hope I am making sense???

Cheers

Simon.
Mister C
Mister C
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Bay Front Beam Installation Empty Re: Bay Front Beam Installation

Post by VeeDubMan Fri Nov 14 2014, 23:43

Take a look at http://www.type2.com/library/suspens/balljoin.htm.  Been some years since I've done it though so can't remember the steps off hand.  I can remember fitting the torsion arms back on after I re-fitted the beam.  Just makes it a bit lighter.

Pretty sure all bays have the same torsion arms.  Can't see any reason why they'd be differnt.
VeeDubMan
VeeDubMan
Forum Member
Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mister C Wed Nov 26 2014, 19:31

Thanks Vee Dub Man, despite a few problems along the way it was all sorted and not the bus.
Now having heavy steering issues which is pointing to a very stiff ball joint.
Mister C
Mister C
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down