Aircooled Konnection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Knackered ignition barrel

2 posters

Go down

Knackered ignition barrel Empty Knackered ignition barrel

Post by Steven Thu Jun 28 2012, 22:26

Hi all,
Always known the ignition barrel in the van was a little bit knackered but started the van today, knocked the key accidentally and out came the key with the van still running!! Shocked

So stalled the van and disconnected the battery, tried re inserting the key and turning ignition off, van was having none of it and almost snapped the only key. So decided to give up for the evening and get a key cut! Especially as that one key does all doors also!

Any idea how to get the ignition back to off?

Also ordered a new barrel and key from C&C, one of the £20 ones. Anyone ever changed one? Any hints or tips?

Cheers
Steven
Steven
Forum Member
Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Knackered ignition barrel Empty Re: Knackered ignition barrel

Post by VeeDubMan Fri Jun 29 2012, 08:48

I've just re-keyed all my locks to use the same key using the kits from DubKeys. The idea is you key all the locks to the same as the ignition as ignition wafers are no longer available, but door wafers are. Turns out my ignition is FUBAR'd too so I need to do some filing to get the shims sorted there.

Anyway, dismantling the ignition is fiddly...but do-able. I used the excellent instructions on http://www.specialpatrolgroup.co.uk/spooky/barrel/barrel.html to dismantle everything.

Good luck!
VeeDubMan
VeeDubMan
Forum Member
Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Steven Fri Jul 06 2012, 22:21

Evening,
Managed to change the barrel eventually after a lot of hassle! Had the steering wheel off, indicator stalk off, steering bos off, steering column dis-attached!

Anyway got the new one in put the switch back on, started putting it all back together then thought id check it worked first! It didn't!! Turn the key ignition comes on and oil and gen light come on, turn key to start position and nothing happens! Think as I was re- assembling it all I've pulled a wire off somewhere as the loom is really tight! Have got a wiring diagram now but couldn't do anything today because of this amazing summer weather we are having Shocked

I think I know the ignition switch is fine as when it was all apart I could put a screwdriver in the switch and the van would start! Proper pikey style!

Anyway hopefully the weather is ok tomorrow and I can get out and try and sort it tomorrow!
Steven
Steven
Forum Member
Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Knackered ignition barrel Empty All sorted!

Post by Steven Tue Jul 10 2012, 20:59

Got the van sorted thanks to help from Liam! (not Kev! Kev= annoying fool who ate all the flying saucers all afternoon!!)

Problem was the fact that the new barrel doesn't have enough slop in it to turn the old knackered ignition switch far enough to get the engine to crank! Have piggy backed the relevant connections and have wired in a starter switch! Still need the key in the ignition as the switch only turns the starter! Extra safety feature in my eyes ha!

Bring on bug jam!
Steven
Steven
Forum Member
Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down