Aircooled Konnection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Timing light etc

5 posters

Go down

Timing light etc Empty Timing light etc

Post by Mister C Mon May 28 2012, 22:15

Hi all,

Slowly getting more done of the bus and after a service and tappits done I need to set the timing.

I had set the static timing up (for some reason we have no timing notch in the body of the distrubtor?) but need to set the timing correctly.

I have the single vacuum distrubutor and have borrowed a basic timing light and would like any advice/help.I have read that at idling speed the preliminary timing should be 7.5o BTDC mark which should be 11.5mm from the notch in the pulley. As you look at it is it to the left or right? (if viewing into the engine bay) Any good advice or places to read up on would be appreciated.

Also, next after the timing is the replacement of the rear tailgate door. Any do's & dont's on removing and refitting the glass and anything to watch out for?

Thanks again,

Mister C.
Mister C
Mister C
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Timing light etc Empty Re: Timing light etc

Post by Aussiboris Mon May 28 2012, 23:36

Hi Mister C
BTDC = Before Top Dead Centre so 7.5 degs to the right of your notch. Would be worth putting a mark with a bit of paint when you're sure it's the right spot for future tuning.

In terms of reference books, Keep Your Volkswagen Alive is a fun and easy to understand book that explains static and dynamic tuning well. I tend to prefer dynamic timing as it throughly checks the dissy advance is set up correctly.

Rob
Aussiboris
Aussiboris
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Aussiboris Mon May 28 2012, 23:39

Just saw the Q about the tailgate removal, just have to bee careful of rounding the fasteners. Had this a lot on mine and had to resort to using easy outs in some cases. Have a helper support the door as you unfasten it as it can be a bit heavy with the glass in.
Aussiboris
Aussiboris
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Tone & Linz Tue May 29 2012, 00:50

Simon hopefully the pics below will help.

When you say notch on the pulley I take it you mean a notch on the back edge of pulley? If so then that should be your 7.5o BTDC mark (as long as the pulley hasn’t been replaced in the past).

Your TDC mark or dent should then be on the front edge, 11.5mm to the left of your 7.5o BTDC mark. If you don’t have a TDC dent then tippex/ paint one on there. Also paint another mark 180o around the pulley as you use this for setting your tappets on 2 and 4.

You need to set valve clearances / tappets at TDC dent and not to the notch. You then set your timing with the notch. I take it you set your tappets to the notch?

If you had no mark on your dizzy when setting the tappets which way was the narrow part of the dizzy rotor facing when you started on tappet 1? Towards you?

Some good info here

http://www.vw-resource.com/valve_adjust.html

Get yourself a Bentley service book if you looking at completing more tasks yourself it’s invaluable. You can find them cheaper than the apparent £40 retail price if you look around.

I got a good set of service tips somewhere from another forum posting. I will post it up when I find them (don't know where they've gone on my pc)

Hope it makes sense

Tone

Timing light etc Tdc_fl13

Timing light etc Tdc_fl14
Tone & Linz
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Tue May 29 2012, 17:14

I would take your number 1 spark plug out put something long down there that's not going to break and turn the pulley until it is at the top then look at tour dizzy rotor arm and see where it is pointing then you definitely know where tdc is if it's not clear from the pulley.
Grizzly
Grizzly
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mister C Wed May 30 2012, 23:17

Thanks guys,

After reading all your advice and double checking my crank pulley and distributor body, I cannot see a dent for TDC or any mark for lining up the rotor arm either. I just have 2 notches on the back of the pulley

With Grizzlys tip I can mark TDC on the pulley and then double check the tappet adjustments using this revised reference point.

Sorry if this a a dumb question, but without any mark on the distributor body but no. 1 piston at TDC, how do I know the correct place to mark the distributor body for future reference? Surely this can be affected by any previous adjustments?

(Perhaps a good investment in the future is to buy a new one?)

The engine runs ok but I want to time it to get it right before I make adjustments (if any) to the carb.

I'll let you now how I get on and I will look out Bentleys manual for the future.

Thanks again,

Cheers

Simon.
Mister C
Mister C
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Tone & Linz Thu May 31 2012, 00:41

Mister C wrote:Sorry if this a a dumb question, but without any mark on the distributor body but no. 1 piston at TDC, how do I know the correct place to mark the distributor body for future reference? Surely this can be affected by any previous adjustments?
AFAIK the mark on the dizzy is only a rough guide to no.1 as its ensuring your dizzy, No. 1 HT lead and TDC are lined up at this point. I stand to be corrected though. It's a very fine mark on the top edge of dizzy (see bottom right of pic below) Timing light etc Dizzy_10

Mister C wrote:(Perhaps a good investment in the future is to buy a new one?)
There are a lot of people who buy up the old ones (as long as the internals aren't rusty and work well) at shows or salvage places because they're the genuine original "well-made" ones. The new ones quality are apparently questionable.

Robs (Aussiboris) suggestion of Keep Your Volkswagen Alive by John Muir is a good book to get started.

With Dazs tip I emphasize about using something that doesn’t break. I used a pencil because I read that it won’t then scratch anything internally. That was the first time I learned how to drop the engine and remove the heads when the pencil came out shorter than it went in. Embarassed
Tone & Linz
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Timing light etc Empty timing

Post by robby Thu May 31 2012, 21:15

hi mister c,i usually get my engine on the pick up and camper timed at martins garage mot centre opposite the fire station in andover, peter howard usually sets the timing for me and adjusts the carb , to get the idle correct and make sure the engine isnt running to lean, which can cause over heating (espeicially on number 3 cylinder)and lack of heat in the cab in the winter.he usually does the job on a saturday morning for me , it only takes him around 20mins and doesnt cost to much as you are a aircooled konnection club member.i dont mind doing most things on my veichles , but when i havnt got any specailist tech tools , i let an expert old skool mechanic do it and learn off of him, as he has a lot of knowledge to share.martins vw number is 01264 323002 ask for peter howard at the mot bay.say you are in ak. regards robby:)
robby
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mister C Fri Jun 01 2012, 16:55

Thanks Gents,

I'll think I'll stick with the old dizzy at the moment and I appreciate tones comment of what to use when setting TDC as I dont fancy taking out the engine again (just yet)

I will contact Peter at Martins to set it up this time like robby and take it from there.

By the sound of it, it will be time well spent.

Thanks again

Simon.
Mister C
Mister C
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Aussiboris Fri Jun 15 2012, 00:15

Good luck Simon.
You'll get yourself in a routine as you get to know what to do on a typical service. You'll also start filling your garage with all the usual consumables like plugs, condensers, leads, dizzy caps ... Very Happy
Aussiboris
Aussiboris
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down