Aircooled Konnection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Petition Against FIVA proposed Definition of Historic Vehicles

Go down

Petition Against FIVA proposed Definition of Historic Vehicles Empty Petition Against FIVA proposed Definition of Historic Vehicles

Post by Grizzly Wed Apr 27 2011, 10:04

Your support is needed as it could have severe impact on the future of historic vehicles. Simply copy the letter below add your MP or MEP's name and sign it then send it on to them.

To find out who your MP/MEP is simply enter your postcode into this site http://www.theyworkforyou.com/
For more details visit the Association of Car Enthusiasts
http://www.the-ace.org.uk/petition-letter-against-adoption-of-fiva-definition-of-historic-vehicle.html[/url]

Dear

Following from Fédération Internationale des Véhicules Anciens' (FIVA) presentation to the Second Meeting of the European Parliament Historic Vehicle Group, I am writing to express my concern regarding the possible implications surrounding the implementation of FIVA's guidelines regarding the definition of Historic Vehicles.

FIVA defines a HISTORIC VEHICLE as a mechanically propelled road vehicle
• which is at least 30 years old;
• which is preserved and maintained in a historically correct condition;
• which is not used as means of daily transport;
• and which is therefore a part of our technical and cultural heritage.

This 4 year old survey was of member associations of FIVA across 11 countries and expresses only their views. The other 16 EU member countries have not been consulted or are even aware of this definition being pushed forward as definitive.

There are many vehicles in existence which meet only part of this definition. These vehicles are over 30 years old, and many are preserved and maintained in an historically correct condition, but many of them are in use as a means of daily transport. At present, many of these vehicles in the UK are registered using the 'Historic' taxation class, giving the benefit of a Vehicle Excise Duty rate of Nil with no restrictions on the use of the vehicle.

Also many of the vehicles in more regular use in the UK follow the Green Party ethos of recycling vehicles components and extending the useful life of an existing vehicle. Some may also be upgraded with later engines, creating less pollution than the still comparatively low original power plant. All of this is perfectly legal within the existing UK laws.

I am concerned that the implementation of the FIVA definition of Historic Vehicles may cause restrictions to be imposed on the use of any vehicle over 30 years old - preventing their use as a means of daily transport - so that such vehicles meet the definition of an Historic Vehicle.

FIVA recognises the existence of older vehicles not meeting their definition of Historic Vehicles - the update provided to the FBHVC by the EPPA (FIVA's Lobbying service) states that it is attempting to explain "why historic vehicles should be treated differently to all other vehicles, especially to all other ‘older’ vehicles".

I appreciate that providing a means for owners of older vehicles to "opt-out" of Historic status would remove the privileges associated with owning an Historic Vehicle - notably the common reduction in the rates of VED paid - but many would welcome the opportunity to use their vehicles as and when they see fit. Even if in daily use their contribution to emissions would be extremely small compared to mileage covered by the huge numbers of modern vehicles.

In fact, in many of the other countries not consulted on this definition they do not have 'Historic' vehicles, just older vehicles that provide daily transport and any proposals for use restrictions would seriously damage their economy.

Any restriction on use - be it a mileage cap, a permit system or detection of regular use by other means - would remove any practical aspect of owning a "classic car" over 30 years old, resulting in vehicles that currently ‘earn their keep’ during everyday use not being able to do so. This would result in many owners being forced to abandon their hobby due to practical considerations, such as storage space and increased per-mile running costs following the introduction of such restrictions, the values of affected vehicles may be reduced.

Owners of older vehicles like myself preserve a small part of the country’s motoring history at our own expense, mainly for our own pleasure but also for the benefit of the general public, and we ask for nothing in return. Many owners form and join clubs to celebrate the history of their vehicles and through these clubs provide support to the community through charity events, galas and motoring shows. By driving our vehicles on a daily basis, we present a rolling trip down memory lane for our fellow motorists, a small nostalgic break in the monotony of modern travel.

I, along with most other classic car owners, ensure that our vehicle/s is/are legal and roadworthy at all times and I believe I take a greater pride in my vehicle than many drivers of more modern vehicles. Vehicles that would not be deemed worthy of a place in a museum or private collection are given another chance to live on in the hands of a genuine enthusiast, who will often spend more than the vehicles market value to maintain it in legal and roadworthy condition. This in turn supports the wide range of classic car spares and restoration businesses - most of which are small firms, of the sort driving the economy in this harsh economic climate.

Any problems with Historic vehicles are self limiting as 'new' vehicles to these older specifications are not being produced and slowly their number will reduce. Also most modern cars will not reach Historic status as repair costs of electronic systems are prohibitively expensive and so many cars will reach EVL before enthusiasts become involved.

I can see no real benefit to restricting the use of older vehicles, only increased red tape with the associated costs and a restriction of personal freedoms that are currently enjoyed by so many. I once again ask that you oppose the imposition of any restrictions to use of older vehicles and allow the classic car movement to both continue its support of small businesses, communities and charities and enjoy the vehicles for what they are.

Yours sincerely,

Grizzly
Grizzly
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down