Aircooled Konnection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How To: Upgrade your Devon Moonraker table top .

3 posters

Go down

How To: Upgrade your Devon Moonraker table top . Empty How To: Upgrade your Devon Moonraker table top .

Post by Big Red Tue Apr 12 2011, 09:07

The Moonraker model (along with others) has a tabletop that slides into a bracket in the inside of the van so you can use as a dining table. This requires screwing a single long leg into a bracket. This is great if you want to sit inside your van and eat round the table.

The table top stores away on brackets above the bed so you look up at the underside.

I think it would be more useful if you could take the table outside the van and use while cooking on your swing out cooker. Some vans have additional legs and brackets but these are very difficult to find at shows and very expensive to pick up if people are breaking original vans or selling off their interior. Good luck if you can find originals at a decent price.

I couldn't. So, I thought I would make my own (then cover it in stickers).

Cost about £20 + some old table legs (free!). You need a drill, screwdriver, screws, PVA, old VW adverts and a cat* called Simon

The only place I have found you can buy the parts is from Stan at caravan supplies (great bloke, very helpful and prompt service)

http://www.caravan-supplies.co.uk/index.htm

Accessories, under 'Table Legs etc'; TE1 and TE2 are the brackets and dowel, you need to phone him to place an order then post him a cheque(!), all part of the retro experience.

Simple to do - just fit the brackets with some 3/8 inch wood screws into the corners of the table (pre drill the holes so you don't split the ply) then cover the underside in PVA and stick on any old VW adverts or images on to decorate, 'varnish' with another layer of PVA. Then drill the legs and insert the dowel. Done

Now you have a table top worth looking at when you're lying in bed and a picnic table to use outside the van when camping.

Use the cat to get in the way while you are gluing and to sit in the background of the photo.

Brackets attached to stickered table
How To: Upgrade your Devon Moonraker table top . Dsc00310

Free standing table with sticky cat
How To: Upgrade your Devon Moonraker table top . Dsc00311

Old adverts
How To: Upgrade your Devon Moonraker table top . Dsc00312

Completed project
How To: Upgrade your Devon Moonraker table top . Dsc00313

What ya think?

*a dog wouldn’t really work as well unless he is prone to jumping up and walking across the glued surface you are decorating.
Big Red
Big Red
Forum Member
Forum Member

Back to top Go down

How To: Upgrade your Devon Moonraker table top . Empty Re: How To: Upgrade your Devon Moonraker table top .

Post by Liam Tue Apr 12 2011, 09:55

Looks wicked dude i wanted to do something simmalar to the van interior and door panels. Have seen it done with old comics it looks wicked!
Liam
Liam
Forum Member
Forum Member

Back to top Go down

How To: Upgrade your Devon Moonraker table top . Empty Re: How To: Upgrade your Devon Moonraker table top .

Post by Grizzly Tue Apr 12 2011, 09:59

Cheers Andrew good site that one too be worth putting in the resource links.

Is simon an OEM cat btw!
Grizzly
Grizzly
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Red Tue Apr 12 2011, 14:09

Yes, Simon is OEM, he's NOS.

We got him second hand after careful storage by his previous owner...

Technically a 'barn find' moggie.
Big Red
Big Red
Forum Member
Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Red Tue Apr 12 2011, 14:14

Liam,
Have seen a few buses with similar door cards, think they look great. Comics, magazines, adverts, even wallpaper would all work well.

I just downloaded a load of images online and printed them out on a colour printer - cheaper than buying old magazines!

If you are going to do it, don't water down the PVA too much or it goes wrinkly. Make sure its dry and add a couple of layers of PVA on top to protect. Easier than varnishing.
Big Red
Big Red
Forum Member
Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down